Friday, June 14, 2013

Fabrics

In 2011 I had access to a photographing microscope, so of course I had to take pictures of fabric. The first is cotton sateen, and I think it’s very interesting. The rest are cool, too. My descriptions are not at all technical, and might be wrong. It’s just what I’ve picked up over time. I dye, I don’t weave.

SateenFront2Sateen front – selvedge is on the right. A sateen weave is ‘over several, under one, (or fewer than it went over.)’

SateenBack2

Sateen back – selvedge on the left.

Broadcloth1

Broadcloth – the basic over 1 – under 1 plain weave we learned making potholders.NuSuedeBack

NuSuede polyester microfiber – the smooth back.NuSuedeFrint

NuSuede frontRadianceBack

Radiance cotton-silk sateen. This is the back cotton side.

RadianceFront

Radiance – the front / silk / warp side.

3 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Great photos.
Thanks for sharing.

Karen S Musgrave said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. What do you plan to do with the photos?

Kristal Dawn Evens said...

So cool! I've been wanting to purchase a microscope lately. Not only am I a fabric artist but I'm also a biologist. I love these photos!