Thursday, April 09, 2015

What do you think dyers can do better? Part 2

On April first I posted the following question on the QuiltArt List: What can dyers do better? Specifically, what can I do, or do better for you? It was not intended as an April Fool's post, nor did anyone take it as such. Here's the second answer I received:
I don't do dyeing so I'm thinking [about] what would make me buy someone else's dyed fabrics. I don't see the point in buying fabric that's dyed an all-over color because solids are commercially available fairly easily , unless I'm wanting a particular tone of color that they just don't make (grayed down yellow, or some such). I think those who do dye solid colors are more interested in controlling more about their work, including the perfect color mixes.
I like fabrics that look like batiks, kind of nebulous color tones but I want them to be in neighboring colors, not opposites, because I'm wanting to use them to represent something else (water, sky, etc) not be their own thing. Many people do make abstract quilts and might like that, however.
When I look at Kay's ice dyeing pieces (http://quiltspluscolor.blogspot.com/ ) I am in awe, but they tend to be their own thing, like using a designer print and probably can't be used to represent something else.
If the design is really stark (blue and keeping white) it feels too strong for me, or if there are too many colors it all feels too psychedelic to me. Darker blue and lighter blue, or green blue where it's more moody feels better to me.
There are quite a few representational quilts out there, so think how you can get those different tones for skin, or hair or dog's hair, or grass or trees. But I don't think that's the direction modern quilters are taking at all. They tend to want the focus pieces. So, look at who your market is or do both directions.
Barb P
Another interesting, and interested answer, and very different from the first response I got. Of course, I like to say 'there's no wrong answer to this question' - about a lot of things. I'm glad Barb wrote, because some days I get stuck staring at a white piece of fabric thinking 'what do I do?'
OK, off to work on my newsletter now. Thanks for looking, and please join my newsletter list or make a comment about this post below.

0 comments: