Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Knitting and Dyeing and a Factory, Oh My!

The ladies in the Shoo Fly Quilters of Boyertown know that I have a soft spot in my heart for old machinery. Hubby and I used to own Bahr's Mill - an historic woodworking mill just outside of town. And when we travel, we try to find factory tours where ever we can. (Tip - Lowell, Massachusetts, north of Boston, is home to Lowell National Historical Park. Go there!)
Last week I was able to get my factory fix at Kraemer Yarn in Nazareth, PA. (Yep, Nazareth, and that's close to Emmaus and Bethlehem for those of you who aren't from around here.) And it turns out that they sell skeins of yarn - thirty-six different varieties - for dyeing! I have eleven here now and need to narrow that down to about three or four to add to my collection, er, inventory. I'm definitely keeping the super-chunky thick and thin variety. It's at the top of this picture. I also got some already-dyed yarn, but can't share the details until after December 25th. Another plus is that not only is it spun right here in Pennsylvania, it's made from US wool!
Now around here I'll dye anything that can't run away. Can you help me by answering some questions? There's a survey here. And if you're not on the DippyDyes mailing list, you can sign up at the bottom. Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this chunky yarn, I look forward to seeing it after being dyed. I bet is going to be lovely. I also love the Lowell Park and highly recommend going. Don't miss the movie at the visitors center.

Lisa from DippyDyes said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. We were there mid-90s', and they still did a boat tour on the millraces. It was neat! And there was, I think still is, a quilt museum nearby too!